LGTS 270050Z 11005KT CAVOK 08/05 Q1018 NOSIG
Thessaloniki International Airport "Macedonia" (IATA: SKG, ICAO: LGTS), formerly known as Mikra Airport and officially known as Macedonia International Airport, is located about 15 km SE of the city center of Thessaloniki, Greece at Thermi.
The airport is the second largest state owned and operated airport in the country after Heraklion airport on the isle of Crete. It opened in 1930 and was the second busiest airport in Greece in terms of flights served and the third busiest in terms of passengers served in 2014, with over 5 million passengers served. It is the main airport of Northern Greece and serves the city of Thessaloniki (the second-largest city in Greece), the popular tourist destination of Chalkidiki and the surrounding cities of the region.
During World War I the area that the airport currently occupies was used as an airfield and it continued operating as an airfield during World War II. At the time of the German occupation of Greece major projects took place, such as the creation of a 600m runway, while in 1948 the airport started operations as a civil airport for the first time.
In 1950 the already existing (10/28) runway got paved with asphalt at a length of 1,800m and in 1952 it was extended to 2,000m. It was the same year that the first airport building was completed, with a control tower on the roof. One year later a new runway (16/34) was built. In 1958 the runway 10/28 got reconstructed and extended to a total length of 2,440m (current length), while runway 16/34 was extended to 2,400m, with its completion in 1972. In 2004 a new parallel taxiway of the 16/34, was opened for use.
In September 1965 a new terminal building opened on a new location (current location). In the period between 1968 and 1973, the terminal was expanded, with the construction of a second floor and its first motorway junction. Due to the earthquake of 1978 in Thessaloniki, the control tower was destroyed, so a new one was constructed, independent of the main terminal building. The next expansion of the terminal took place in two stages, with the projects starting in 1991 and 1993 respectively. The municipality of Thessaloniki, as European Capital of Culture for 1997, took over a projects for the aesthetic intervention, renovation, modernisation and reorganisation of the spaces of the building.
The terminal building took its current form, when an additional of 19,000m² were added to the western and eastern side of the terminal building, completed in November 2000 and June 2003 respectively. The western extension included the widening of the international departures area (new Extra-Schengen area ), including new administration offices, a new health station and the new station control of Olympic Airlines. The eastern expansion included a new check-in hall, new waiting halls and additional administrative offices for airlines. Today the terminal has a total floor area of 32,000m². Finally, during 2004–2006 the new motorway junction was completed on the level of the departures entrance of the Terminal and new parking spaces for cars, buses and taxis were created.
|Transition altitude:||6000 ft.|
|LGTS Online stations|
|Number||Course||Length||Elevation||Lat||Lon||ILS||ILS freq||ILS FAC||GP|
|10||101°||8005ft / 2440 m||9ft||40.521972||22.959056||✓||109.5||101°||3.0°|
|16||163°||7907ft / 2410 m||14ft||40.530278||22.967584||✓||110.3||163°||3.0°|
|28||281°||8005ft / 2440 m||19ft||40.516695||22.986972||✘||-||-||3.0°|
|34||343°||7907ft / 2410 m||22ft||40.509167||22.974306||✘||-||-||3.0°|